Our Local History
Alpena Congregation was organized on August 1, 1892 with 19 people present. Elder George Jenkinson was the first pastor. Services were held in a small store building located on the corner of Oldfield and Pine streets. In 1912, a wood frame building located on Fletcher Street was purchased. Membership was then 86. In March of 1920, Wm. H. Kissack began keeping a record book of branch activities.
On September 6, 1945, a meeting was held to discuss plans for a new church building. Roy Reynolds was chosen Chairman of the Building Committee. The following year, Allan McNiel offered his services as building engineer to draw up plans for the new church building. On March 31, 1946, the Clinton Street site was chosen for the building site. The building plans were completed in 1954 and the Ground-breaking ceremonies were held on April 29, 1955 with Apostle Chesworth present.
While waiting for the new church to be enclosed, church was held for a while upstairs in the Odd Fellows Hall and then at the Pied Piper Center on Pied Piper Road. The first meeting held in the new church in the basement was on December 18, 1955. Further work was held up until some debts were paid up. But all unfinished work on the church was completed by the Fall of 1967. Formal Dedication of the church was on October 8, 1972.
In 1976, a new piano was purchased in memory of Claude Scott and Alta Worthington. And in May 1980 a new Baldwin Organ was purchased. The most recent addition was a three-octave set of hand-bells purchased during July of 1982. The branch initiated its Commission system in 1982, being the first in the District to do so.